The Affair by Lee Child
Chapter Forty-Nine, second paragraph:
It was March in Mississippi and there were enough new leaves on the trees to deny me a clear view of the sky. So I navigated by guesswork. Or dead reckoning, as some people prefer to call it. Which is hard to do, in a forest. Most right-handed people end up walking wide counterclockwise circles, because most right-handed people have left legs fractionally shorter than their right legs. Basic biology and geometry. I avoided that particular peril by stepping to the right of every tenth tree I came to, whether I thought I needed to or not.
This is an excerpt from another easy-to-read book by Lee Child, this one published 27 September 2011.
The outstanding image I'm left with after reading the book is when the author first describes on page 76 the mile long freight train travelling at a steady 60 miles an hour through the town where all the action takes place. Like clockwork it passes through exactly at midnight, every night, and takes one minute to clear the local railway crossing. The noise as it does so is described as 'impossibly loud'.
Page 76:
The first thing I did was change my mind about how far I was going to have to walk to find the wreckage of the blue car. I had assumed it would be close by. But after that awesome display of power I figured it might be somewhere in New Jersey. Or Canada.
It was March in Mississippi and there were enough new leaves on the trees to deny me a clear view of the sky. So I navigated by guesswork. Or dead reckoning, as some people prefer to call it. Which is hard to do, in a forest. Most right-handed people end up walking wide counterclockwise circles, because most right-handed people have left legs fractionally shorter than their right legs. Basic biology and geometry. I avoided that particular peril by stepping to the right of every tenth tree I came to, whether I thought I needed to or not.
This is an excerpt from another easy-to-read book by Lee Child, this one published 27 September 2011.
The outstanding image I'm left with after reading the book is when the author first describes on page 76 the mile long freight train travelling at a steady 60 miles an hour through the town where all the action takes place. Like clockwork it passes through exactly at midnight, every night, and takes one minute to clear the local railway crossing. The noise as it does so is described as 'impossibly loud'.
Page 76:
The first thing I did was change my mind about how far I was going to have to walk to find the wreckage of the blue car. I had assumed it would be close by. But after that awesome display of power I figured it might be somewhere in New Jersey. Or Canada.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home